Serving Amarillo, Canyon, Dalhart and the surrounding Texas Panhandle
Healthy teeth and gums can make a difference in your life
When you keep your teeth and gums healthy, life is more enjoyable for you with a greater variety of food in your diet, a more attractive smile and a healthier outlook. Sadly, however, gum disease is present in almost 50% of teens and 75% of adults over 35.
The contributing factors are:
- Diet (sugar and starch)
- Poor oral hygiene
The consequences of ignoring the warning signs can be severe
If left untreated, gum disease can:
- Affect the weight of newborn children
- Contribute to heart disease and stroke
- Limit the effectiveness of insulin for diabetics
- Lead to osteoporosis, diabetes or bacterial respiratory infections
Gingivitis is the first stage of periodontal disease
During the first stage, gingivitis appears in these familiar symptoms:
- Plaque forms on the teeth
- Gums become red and swollen, and bleed easily
- Plaque hardens overnight to form calculus
- Gingivitis is reversible with proper hygiene treatment
Periodontitis is the more dangerous progression of the disease
If gingivitis remains untreated, it can advance to periodontitis. Periodontitis leads to irreversible damage to the gums and bone around the roots or the teeth as well as other far-reaching health problems.
It can start in the following ways:
- Plaque spreads and grows below the gum line
- Plaque bacteria produces toxins, which irritate and inflame the gums
- Bacteria enters the blood stream, endangering vessels, organs, fetus
- Tissue and bone that support the teeth break down
Tissue Therapy is not a basic 6-month cleaning
Tissue therapy is a treatment regime to help you resolve a chronic, potentially life-threatening disease.
Treatment timelines depend on the extent of your disease and healing response, and can involve any or all of the following:
- Root planning
- Ultrasonic therapy
- Laser therapy
- Chemical therapy to speed healing
- Surgical treatment (rarely)
Contact our Amarillo Dentist
To reach our experienced Amarillo general dentist, please contact Esler Dental Group by calling (806) 358-8021.
The Esler Dental Group is proud to serve patients in Amarillo, Canyon, Dalhart and the surrounding Texas Panhandle.